Many new features are being enabled in Canvas this semester. Each has a link to more information and instructions for you to explore.
New Features in Canvas
New Features Coming Soon
Available December 19:
Student View – The student view button displays in supported Canvas pages allowing Instructors to quickly view individual pages using the Test Student.
- Video overview of Individual Student view.
Available December 28:
New Rich Content Editor – The new rich content editor provides a condensed, more intuitive toolbar that is grouped by common icons and interactions.
Media File Placement – Newly recorded media and uploaded media via the Upload/Record Media link is stored in the Course, Groups, or User Files folder, respectively.
Features Now Available in Canvas.
New Analytics – New Analytics provides downloadable CSV files for missing assignments, late assignments, excused assignments, the class roster, and course activity data. All reports provide real-time data except for the Course Activity report, which includes data that may be delayed up to 24 hours.
New Analytics video overview
MathJax Equation Improvements – Coming October 17th – The MathJax JS library has been improved to render equations in a more accessible format and promote ease of use. Math equations created anywhere in Canvas will be rendered as MathML. This change improves accessibility for equations throughout Canvas.
To view all updates to Canvas, view the Canvas Releases page.
Bulk edit due and availability dates — Instructors have the ability to update due dates and availability dates for multiple assignments and assessments at one time.
Module File upload enhancement — Instructors can add multiple module content items from the Course Home Page or the Modules page.
Help for unpublished courses — The Dashboard, Courses menu, and All Courses page display both published and unpublished courses, making it easier to see which courses are unpublished.
Rubrics link in left navigation — The Manage Rubrics button has been removed from the course-level Outcomes page and added to the Course Navigation menu.
Mute notifications by course — Users can mute all notifications for a specific course where the user is enrolled.
- Instructor product tour — Canvas provides a welcome tour for instructors that guides them through setting up an online course.
- Student product tour — Canvas provides a welcome tour for students that guides them through getting started with a Canvas course.
Limited assignment submission attempts — Allows instructors the ability to limit attempts for Canvas assignments.
Note: This feature does not have a moderate feature like in quizzes. To give a student an extra submission attempt, a separate assignment would need to be created for the student(s) to submit, or create a differentiated assignment, after due date passed for the original assignment.
Direct share — Direct share allows instructors to copy assignments, pages, quizzes, etc. from one course to another as well as the ability to share individual assignments, pages, quizzes, etc. in your course with other instructors at CSU.
Optional Features Also Available
The following features are set to “allow,” and will appear if instructors choose to enable them.
Quiz log auditing — Instructors are able to view quiz logs to view the status of student quizzes.
- Anonymous grading — This option hides student names from graders when they view assignment submissions in SpeedGrader.
- Moderated grading — This option allows multiple reviewers to grade a students work and create draft or provisional grades for an assignment.
- Anonymous moderated grading — This option is available is the Anonymous grading option and the moderated grading options are enabled. This allows content creators can create assignments that hide student names from graders and include moderated option.
Anonymous instructor annotations — If this option is enabled, when students view a submission the comments do not display an instructor’s name.