Course Dates for Students
Students, Canvas courses are created for all academic-graded sections, but using a Canvas course is an instructor’s choice.
If your Canvas course is not published after the first day of classes, check with your instructor to see what resources they will use.
Most Canvas courses open and close for students on these dates:
|Semester||Open (12:01am)||Close (11:59pm)|
|Fall 2019||Aug. 23, 2019||Jan. 16, 2020|
|Spring 2020||Jan. 17, 2020||May 31, 2020|
|Summer 2020||May 15, 2020||Aug. 20, 2020|
|Fall 2020||Aug. 21, 2020||Jan. 14, 2021|
|Spring 2021||Jan. 15, 2021||May 31, 2021|
- Courses usually open the Friday before each semester starts.
- Courses close a few weeks after each semester ends.
- Summer is treated as one big semester.
- Instructors may adjust their course start/end dates, especially in the summer.
- Instructors can extend student access for Incompletes, or set course to Read Only after end date