Cross-listing allows Instructors to add section enrollments from individual sections into a single Canvas course, which allows Instructors to manage all course materials in one location. It also allows students in all sections to interact with each other.
Why cross-list sections?
- Add materials and content into a single parent course for students in all sections.
- In the Canvas gradebook, Instructors may view all students at once, or one section at a time.
- Assignments may be set up with different due dates for each section.
- Instructors may set privileges so TAs can grade only their sections.
- By default, all students can interact with each other.
- Instructors may set privileges so students can only see and interact with other students in their section.
Sections that should be cross-listed
- Always cross-list Key (1xx), Honors (2xx), and INTO CSU Pathways (3xx) sections
- Cross-list these sections into the primary (parent) section
- Always cross-list 401/801 sections
- To ensure access to CSU Online specific tools (Kaltura Media and others). The CSU Online section (701 or 801) must be the parent section. Cross-list the 401 section under the CSU Online section.
- Always cross-list sections in Canvas, when they are cross-listed in Aries.
- Sections with different subject codes but they are the same academic course (HIST-478-001 & ANTH-478-001)
Optional Cross-list courses
- Lecture sections taught by the same Instructor at different days and/or times
- Labs and recitations
- Cross-list all labs together in one course and all recitations together in another course
- Cross-list all labs and recitations into a single course
Note: Non-Graded Lab and Recitation sections are not created by default in Canvas. To request the creation of a non-graded section, use the Request Canvas Special Courses option under Instructor tools in ARIESweb. Please allow 3 business days for these sections to appear in Canvas.
Prerequisites Before Cross-listing
- Must be an Instructor in each Canvas section
- Cross-list sections before adding content to the Parent section.
- Content in the child sections will not be visible after cross-listing.
- Cross-list sections before classes start
- If students have activity in a section (grades, discussions, assignments, quizzes) and then the section is cross-listed, all student activity is removed.