Cross-listing allows Instructors to add section enrollments from individual sections into a single Canvas course. This allows for all course materials to be managed in one location.
- Child sections are cross-listed (combined) into a parent section
- Lecture, lab, and/or recitation sections can be cross-listed in any configuration
- Request Canvas courses for non-graded lab and recitation sections from the Course Creation page
Why cross-list sections?
- Add materials and content into a single parent course for students in all sections
- Instructors may view the gradebook with all students at once, or by one section at a time
- Assignments may be set up with different due dates for each section
- By default, all students can interact with each other
Cross-listing RI and CSU Online Courses
College of Business Instructors, please contact the COB Instructional Services Team for questions on cross-listing.
Usually, Resident Instruction (RI) and CSU Online courses are taught separately in Canvas.
If there is a need to cross-list an RI and CSU Online academic course, please cross-list the CSU Online course (8xx, 7xx) as a child section into the RI (00x, 4xx) parent course, for pedagogical and software licensing reasons.
RI/CSU Online cross-listed courses utilize Echo360 for video creation and storage, and Respondus LockDown Browser for proctoring.
If the CSU Online course was designed by a CSU Online instructional designer, you can copy/import content from the 8xx/7xx course, which is quality and accessibility checked, into the blank 00x, 4xx parent course.
Note: CSU Online noncredit (20XXFA-NCT-) courses are taught separately from academic courses.
4xx Summer Sections
If a summer 4xx section is cross-listed in the ARIESweb class list with an 8xx/7xx section, then it has been licensed to use CSU Online tools. In this situation, instructors should cross-list the summer 4xx child section into the CSU Online section as the parent in Canvas.
Contact the CSU Canvas Team for questions on cross-listing.
Prerequisites Before Cross-listing
- Must be an Instructor in each Canvas section
- It is recommended to cross-list sections before adding content to the parent section
- Sections must be cross-listed before classes start to avoid the loss of student activity including grades, discussion posts, and assignment\quiz submissions
To Cross-List Courses
All cross-listed sections take on the parent section’s name
- Determine the Parent and child sections.
- The parent section is the section that the Instructor will teach from.
- All sections that are cross-listed into a parent section are called child sections.
- When cross-listed, the child sections will share the same course name and content of the parent section.
- For example. An Instructor is teaching History 100, sections 001 and 003. The Instructor designates section 001 as the Parent section. The child section, 003, is cross-listed into the parent section, 001.
- The child section (003) now takes on the name and the content of the Parent (001) section.
- Navigate to the child course (section) in Canvas and click on Settings on the left course navigation.
- Click on the Sections tab and then click on the section name.
- Click on the Cross-List this section button.
- Type in the name of the parent course as it appears in Canvas, starting with the semester code (2020FA-HIST-100) Click on the parent course to select it.
- When the correct parent course is selected, click on the Cross-List This Section button.
- The cross-listed section now appears in the parent course. The breadcrumbs show the new course code.
- After cross-listing, we recommend making a home page that shows students which sections are combined together.
CSU Section Numbers
|0xx (001, 012)||Resident Lecture Sections|
|1xx (100, 101)||Key Academic Community Sections|
|2xx (201, 202)||Honors Sections|
|4xx (401, 402)||Campus Online Sections|
|6xx-9xx (701, 801)||CSU Online Sections|
|Lxx (L01, L02)||Resident Labs|
|Rxx (R01, R02)||Resident Recitations|