Cross-List (Combine) Sections
In Canvas, instructors can use these instructions to cross-list / combine sections together so that students from multiple sections use the same content and can interact with each other.
NOTE: To insure access to CSU Online specific tools, make sure the CSU Online section (section numbers that end in 7xx or 8xx) is the Parent Section when you cross list Canvas sections.
Why cross-list sections?
- Add materials and content once into a parent course, and students from All sections can use it.
- In the gradebook, instructors can easily see either All students, or one section at a time.
- Assignments can be set up with different due dates, by section.
- Instructors can set privileges so TAs can grade only their sections.
- All students can interact. (Or instructors can set privileges so students only see others in their section.)
Important Best Practices
- DO cross-list sections before adding content to the Parent course. Content in the Child sections will not be visible after cross-listing.
- DO cross-list sections before classes start. If students have activity in a section (grades, discussions, assignments, quizzes) and you move a section under a parent section, you will NOT be able to see the students’ previous activity.
- DO cross-list sections that are taught at the same time, in the same place. Examples: Honors or KEY community section taught with a regular section.
- DO cross-list 401/801 sections for spring, summer and fall. They are taught together as one course and should be cross-listed.
How to cross-list Canvas sections
401 sections are now used for all semesters
CSU made a change in section numbering for fully-online courses starting Spring 2018.
- Section numbers for fully-online sections, for Resident Instruction (RI) students, in spring, summer, and fall, are numbered 4** (e.g. 401).
- Section numbers for fully-online sections, for students through CSU-Online, remain numbered 8**, (e.g. 801).
- (Section numbers for campus-taught RI sections remain unchanged, e.g. 001)
Instructors need to manually crosslist/combine 401/801 sections in Canvas into one course before adding content for Spring, Summer, and Fall courses.