Course Ownership and Life Cycle
Canvas is a university resource. Content created in Canvas courses is jointly owned by the instructor and Colorado State University, per CSU General Counsel. Instructors may export their course to use in another school’s Canvas system. Instructors and/or departments can choose to reuse content in future Canvas courses. Academic and non-credit courses are retained in Canvas for five years after they are taught. Once a year, usually in June, we identify courses beyond this time frame and delete them from the system.
Courses are created systematically for all graded sections, for instructors.
2. Teaching assignments
After Department Schedulers enter their instructors’ teaching assignments into ARIES, then instructors can see their courses in Canvas within 12 hours.
Enrollments for instructors and students are sent from ARIES (CSU’s student information system), three times daily, Mon-Sat and twice on Sundays. Other users with a CSU eID can be enrolled manually.
Instructors prepare course content, either developing it new right in their teaching shell, or copying course content from a previous course.
- Courses open/close systematically for students, at the start/end dates on the course.
- Instructors can adjust the start/end dates as needed.
6. Active courses and retention
Academic and noncredit courses (with content and student grades/activity) are kept online in the production online learning system for five years after the course was taught. During this time:
- Instructors can copy content forward to re-use in other courses.
- Students can finish Incompletes in the original course.
- Data can be used for grade and student activity verification.
7. Course deletion
Academic and noncredit courses (with content and student grades/activity) are removed from the online learning system approximately fiveyears after the course was taught.
- Deletions are performed annually, usually in June; a notice is emailed to instructors a few weeks in advance.
- To retain a copy of the gradebook for easy reference for five years, instructors can export, download and securely store the gradebook after each semester.
Course Deletion Schedule
|Courses by Year||Deletion Date|
|2016 SP/SM/FA||June 2022|
|2017 SP/SM/FA||June 2023|
|2018 SP/SM/FA||June 2024|