Using Letter Grades for Assignments
Instructors, what do you need to know when Assignments are set to “Display Grade as Letter Grade”?
- A Canvas Assignment can be set to “Display Grade as Letter Grade” in the assignment settings.
- Then in Grades, the assignment score will display as both a letter grade, AND as points, in the same column, based on the course’s grade scheme.
- Grades can be entered in the gradebook as either points or a letter grade, and Canvas will calculate the other*.
- Remember that Total Grades is calculated numerically.
- Entering a letter grade in Grades, results in Canvas assigning a numeric score that is one less than the topmost value in that letter grade’s range(from the scheme).
- The Total grade calculation may result with an inflated Final Letter Grade.
- DO: Enter the median score for that letter grade. Canvas will assign the appropriate letter grade.
- DON’T: Enter the letter grade and let Canvas assign the numeric score.
- Note: CSU has requested Canvas that the median value be assigned, but letter grade functionality was designed to assign a high numeric score; this model can only be changed with lots of user feedback. If you want to speak your voice, “Add a comment” on this Canvas community idea. (You probably need to log in to Canvas first.) And even though the voting is closed, your comments still make a difference.