CSU’s Student-Athlete Support Services (SASS) utilizes the Observer role in Canvas as an efficient and accurate model of support-monitoring for student academic performance, which is required by the NCAA for college athletes.
The pairing of Athletics Academic Coordinators with athletes in Canvas is a very secure and efficient model for academic performance monitoring and support.
This is a unique arrangement with SASS only, and will not be used for advisors, parents, or any others.
All student-athletes participating is this observer program have given signed consent for SASS staff to monitor their academic performance in Canvas, to ascertain academic eligibility for practice and/or competition.
Participating is voluntary for instructors. If instructors prefer to opt-out for a semester, SASS will work with you via progress reports, email/phone outreach, and have the student login to the course to show their coursework from that student’s view.
To opt-out for the current semester, please send an email to Rebecca Orr, to have the Observers removed for you, or instructors can remove the observers themselves. If instructors do remove an Observer, please send email to Rebecca Orr.
For more info see Student-Athlete Support Services.
E-mail Rebecca.Orr@colostate.edu, Director of Student Athlete Support Services
Benefits and Features
- Enables easy communication between instructors and Athletics Coordinators
- Provides more timely support by Athletics Coordinators with students for better academic success
- Used to pair Athletic Academic Coordinators with student-athletes in Canvas
- Has read-only permissions to view course content and their paired students’ work and grades
- Cannot edit, upload, or view other students’ discussion entries nor grades
- Visible to teachers in Canvas courses under People; in the Role column it lists their paired students